We are often asked what is the difference between a corded and uncorded curtain track and when to choose one over the other!
Curtains on an uncorded curtain track are drawn by hand, whereas there is a side pull cord to open and close your curtains on a corded curtain track. A draw rod is a popular accessory on hand drawn, uncorded tracks so you can open and close your curtains without touching them.
Advantages of a Corded Curtain Track
Corded curtain tracks are ideal if your curtains:
- are in a location that is tricky to draw by hand. For example if your curtains close behind furniture or a sofa a corded curtain track can make opening and closing your curtains easier.
- cover a window over stairs – a cord operation can be advantageous if pulling the curtains by hand is difficult (please ensure your cord drop complies with the legislation and finishes 1.5m above the floor).
- are drawing across tall windows a cord operation can make opening and closing the curtains easier.
- are made up in a delicate fabric such as silk, or in a lightly coloured fabric, a cord operation can help to prolong the life of your curtains as you can open and close them without touching the fabric.
Corded Curtain Track Considerations
Silent Gliss recommend straight tracks over 4m and bent tracks over 3m are corded both sides. Please note tracks corded both sides are only suitable for a pair of curtains as the tracks come in 2 pieces with an intermediate pulley housing system in the middle to join the tracks.
- Curtain Weight – the weight of the curtains puts pressure on the cords so there are maximum weight allowances for corded curtain tracks. Please refer to the Curtain Weight charts on the Product Specification tabs on the track product pages and check the weight of your curtains before ordering your track.
Corded and uncorded curtain tracks can be bent for bay windows. Please read our blog post on how to order a bent curtain track.
Ceiling Recess Tracks
Silent Gliss offer a range of hand drawn and corded tracks that can be ceiling recess fitted for an elegant, sophisticated look.
If you are embarking upon a home project and would like any help or inspiration, please do get in touch. We offer a bespoke design service and can provide fabric, design and paint colour advice to help you create a home you love. We can also make up your perfect window dressings with our bespoke, made to measure curtain and roman blind making service.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or would like any advice. Email email@example.com or call us on 01590 615775.
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook: @myhomeofinteriors