The Home Of Interiors Traditional Coastal Trend
Traditional Coastal is a fresh, uplifting trend encompassing obvious nautical cues for a refreshing coastal feel. Wallpapers and fabrics are reminiscent of beach scenery, showcasing beach huts, seagulls, lighthouses, boats, pebbles and marine life. Tones of blue are prominent in this trend, with pastel blues and sea blues helping to really capture that nautical theme. Stripes are also popular, encompassing shades of blue, white and red for a traditional coastal appeal. Natural materials such as linen complement this trend beautifully, as do floaty sheers for a light, airy feel. If you are looking for more of a subtle coastal look with a modern twist, please see our Contemporary Coastal Trend.
Please watch our YouTube video below for inspiration.
How to work the trend!
- White-washed wood flooring and furniture with a distressed texture work particularly well with this trend, creating a light, airy feel throughout a room.
- Try a beautiful wallpaper with obvious coastal cues for a feature wall. We particularly love the Shore Birds and Cromer designs from the Sanderson Port Isaac wallpaper collection.
- Coat your remaining walls with a white or blue paint tone for a fresh look. Sanderson offer some beautiful palettes, perfect for this trend. For a cool white shade, perhaps try Snowy Owl or Silverflake. Alternatively, for a refreshing coastal blue tone, we would recommend Window Blue, Boy Blue or Cadet Blue.
- For curtains, Roman blinds and armchairs, opt for natural materials such as linen and cotton mix fabrics in neutral, white or blue tones to carry the light, airy theme throughout your interior. In addition, you could opt for a beautiful, tactile fabric from the Clarke & Clarke Eco collection. Made from recycled materials, these fabrics deliver a natural, organic look and are available in superb blue tones that complement the coastal theme.
- Alternatively, if keeping your walls neutral and plain, you could choose a patterned fabric from the Sanderson Port Isaac or Prestigious Textiles Coastal Retreat collections to accentuate your soft furnishings.
- For floaty sheers, we recommend using a Silent Gliss Metropole in White or Matt White. The Clarke & Clarke Midori fabric in polar works well. As it is 50% linen it gives a natural, textured look.
- For more traditional curtain headings, consider a wooden curtain pole from the Jones Seychelles range in cotton or mist or a Rolls Modern Country pole in Brushed Ivory. If you’d prefer a metal pole option, we recommend the Jones Strand metal curtain pole with Ball finials in the sky-blue colourway to really capture the Traditional Coastal theme.
- For a layered look, why not try one of Clarke and Clarke’s coastal themed roller blinds. The Fly Away design in Duckegg or Navy works beautifully. The Sail Stripe Marine is another fantastic example, encompassing the traditional blue, red and white stripe design often seen in this trend.
- Stripes also work well for ready made curtains and cushion accessories to complete the look. Ian Mankin offer some beautiful striped designs that would work beautifully for an accent cushion.
- If extending the coastal theme to the bedroom, consider a plain white bedding set, layered with a luxury Voyage Maison Riviera cushion to bring the trend to life.
See our ‘Get the Coastal Look’ boards at the bottom of this page for more inspiration!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
Sign up to our quarterly home interiors trend updates and style guides & be notified of any new product launches and special offers.